When I was a girl, the nearest library was in downtown Huntington. It was an imposing stone Carnegie building with columns and carvings. You had to look way up to see the top of the building where the names of famous people were carved.
We lived in Wayne County and the library was in Cabell County, so we had to pay extra for a library card. I felt as if I didn't really belong in the library and was afraid of the librarians. When we went to the library I snuck behind shelves and hid in corners so they wouldn't notice me.
The children's room was downstairs. I always went to the same set of shelves - the one marked 'Animal Stories'. There were benches on either side of a fireplace, making a little reading nook, but I was scared to sit on them. Instead I sat on the floor by the shelves and read book after book.
We lived in Wayne County and the library was in Cabell County, so we had to pay extra for a library card. I felt as if I didn't really belong in the library and was afraid of the librarians. When we went to the library I snuck behind shelves and hid in corners so they wouldn't notice me.The children's room was downstairs. I always went to the same set of shelves - the one marked 'Animal Stories'. There were benches on either side of a fireplace, making a little reading nook, but I was scared to sit on them. Instead I sat on the floor by the shelves and read book after book.
In the summer I signed up for the Reading Club. Here's what my book log looked like in 1956:

I was supposed to read at least 5 science books for the Summer of 1956 reading club. The librarian marked those books with a red check.
I loved to read. I mostly loved to read horse stories, and dog stories, and cat stories - and I read all of the "Black Stallion" series and the "Golden Stallion" series and all of the books by C.W. Anderson. I could only borrow a few library books at a time, so it took a long time to read the 21 books recorded in my book log. Here's what some of the books on my list looked like:





I was supposed to read at least 5 science books for the Summer of 1956 reading club. The librarian marked those books with a red check.
I loved to read. I mostly loved to read horse stories, and dog stories, and cat stories - and I read all of the "Black Stallion" series and the "Golden Stallion" series and all of the books by C.W. Anderson. I could only borrow a few library books at a time, so it took a long time to read the 21 books recorded in my book log. Here's what some of the books on my list looked like:



No comments:
Post a Comment