Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My first Horror Film

Halloween reminds me of being scared. One of the scariest things that ever happened to me was going to a movie with Aunt Fritzie and my cousin Roseanna.

We both thought Aunt Fritzie was terribly sophisticated. She wore high heels and lots of jewely and always had her hair done and her makeup on. She had fancy bottles of perfume on her dresser - we loved to sniff them. Aunt Fritzie gave us chewing gum (Mother didn't let us have gum) and bought us comic books (Mother didn't approve of comics). We loved being with Aunt Fritzie.

Aunt Fritzie took us downtown on the bus to go to the movies. We were thrilled. We giggled and bounced up and down on the movie theater seats.

Movies always started out with a cartoon. That was fun. We didn't suspect that the movie we were going to see wasn't a fun movie - after all, my mother only took me to Disney movies. I didn't even know that there were horror movies. All I knew was that we were going to see a brand new movie, just released in 1959.

Rosie and I were a little worried at the beginning - the dark night, the meteor from outer space, the old man going to the doctor's spooky house - but the doctor would fix him, right? Wrong!Things were NOT going to turn out well in this movie! Horrible things were going to happen! We screamed. We wanted to run away. The BLOB was going to eat every one!
Rosie and I dove under the movie theater seats. Aunt Fritzie laughed at us.
For the entire movie we stayed on the floor with our eyes squeezed shut. Every time we did dare to peek over the backs of the seats, we saw another terrible sight. It seemed so real, as if it could really happen. And even though the Blob was defeated in the end, I had nightmares for months.
Aunt Fritzie teased us for a long time afterwards. It was just a movie! It wasn't even a good movie!
But I thought I would NEVER dare to go to another movie again.

No comments: